[LMB] OT: Parallel parking

Matija Grabnar lmb at matija.com
Tue Dec 14 18:30:10 GMT 2021

On 14/12/2021 17:49, Louann Miller wrote:
> Parallel parking is still a required item on the driving test in Texas.
> That was what made me fail on, I think, the second of my three tries at the
> test back in 1982. In my defense, I was driving a 1977 Ford station wagon
> roughly the size of a World War II aircraft carrier.
> Andrew had a considerably smaller car, AND a back-up camera.

I remember a couple of decades ago, when I used to travel to Amsterdam a
lot, I used to think the people there were world champions in parallel
parking. You'd see cars parked on the edge of the canal, the tire walls
perfectly aligned with the canal's wall. I couldn't figure out how they
learned to parallel park so well. Then one day I saw a crane pulling a
car out of the canal and I understood.

And yeah, backup cameras and parking sensors make ALL the difference.
Once I parallel parked with a backup camera, I never again wanted to
park without one.