[LMB] OT: Parallel parking

Richard G. Molpus rgmolpus at flash.net
Wed Dec 15 03:34:10 GMT 2021

When I was in Qatar, all the company trucks were manual transmission. It took me a day to remember all the right reflexes, but I didn't have any trouble,

A new guy was hired, he didn't know how to drive a stick. I took him into the HUGE safety space around the base, and started him practicing the basic actions - pressing the clutch, where the gears were, advancing the throttle a bit when releasing the clutch.

We were doing fine - he was nervous during his early attempt, when two Hummvees boxed us in.

The MP were wondering what the HELL we were doing. They had brought all the usual toys of their profession - M4 rifles, a light machine gun, etc.

I explained that I was teaching my new worker how to drive a stick shift... The MPs said 'OK, but next time call us first.'

We were very cautious driving on base for the next few weeks.

On Tuesday, December 14, 2021, 07:27:45 PM CST, Howard Brazee <howard at brazee.net> wrote:

> On Dec 14, 2021, at 6:10 PM, Gwynne Powell <gwynnepowell at hotmail.com <mailto:gwynnepowell at hotmail.com>> wrote:
>
> .... I can't....
> ....I can't... drive a manual car. I can only drive automatic.
>
> Ohhhh the relief of saying it out loud at last! Yes, it's true.
> I know, I know.... I should have made the effort to learn,
> but... I've just always had automatics.

So how do you know you can’t drive a manual transmission car?

(I wish this List group would accept e-mail from howardbrazee at mac.com <mailto:howardbrazee at mac.com>)

Lois-Bujold mailing list message sent to rgmolpus at flash.net
Lois-Bujold at lists.herald.co.uk