[LMB] OT: Parallel parking, now stick shift

Stewart Dean sdean at sdean.net
Wed Dec 15 08:11:59 GMT 2021

My father was a Renaissance man atop being an eye surgeon
http://sdean.net/myfamily.htm#Dad

He was a gear freak along with everything else and, when I was 13
(1960), he bought two (2) Bugattis c. 1930. He paid the price of a new
Buick for them, as they were then unknown.
http://sdean.net/bugattis.htm

I grew up driving and wrenching them, an incredible life experience.
Although I cut my teeth driving my grandmother's Oldsmobile with
automatic tranny, within a few weeks, I was driving a Bug.  Which had
all sorts of Bugatti weirdnesses:

= right hand drive
= crashbox tranny, no synchro-mesh, thus no down shifting if you didn't
know how double-clutch
= straight cut gears, which howled a different note in every gear...and
changed up and down as you sped up/slowed down
= the old Italian floor pedal arrangement:  clutch - accelerator - brake
= dash controls for choke *and* spark advance

....and an utter joy to drive once you mastered it.  A clean downshift
was like hitting a home run.