[LMB] Stupid drug names.

Matija Grabnar lmb at matija.com
Thu Dec 16 12:10:37 GMT 2021

I am not a doctor, but I've been reading about this recently, and I
understand that there are a number of constraints a name has to satisfy.
It has to sound differently from other medicines (so that nobody is
confused when a doctor orders a medicine verbally, in a noisy emergency
room, operating room, intensive care room etc) and the form of the name
tells doctors something about what the medicine does.

For instance, anything ending in -zole is a "proton pump inhibitor" and
anything ending with -mycin is a Penicillin-type antibiotic.

Then there is a question of how to name generic variants of a former
proprietary drug, and many other issues.

More than you ever wanted to know:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drug_nomenclature