[LMB] OT: Parallel parking

Gwynne Powell gwynnepowell at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 16 12:15:24 GMT 2021

From: Mark Goldfield <markgoldfield at hotmail.com>

So how do you know you can?t drive a manual transmission car?

Gwynne: Good point - maybe I should try it!  Unfortunately, I don't know
anyone with a manual car who'd let me try - the only one I know is my
nephew's work truck, and he LOVES that truck.
I just have a feeling that it's really a thing for people with better coordination
than me. But maybe it's worth a try!

If you want to try a manual transmission, I strongly suggest taking one or two lessosn from a driving school.  It avoids grinding the gears on a friend's car while you are learning.  I did that before buying my first manual transmission vehicle (a 1988 Subaru GL wagon) and found the 2 lessons were enough that I could drive home my new car only stalling a few times.  A week of daily driving and I was comfortable with it. Don't try learning on hills or at night.

Gwynne: I had a few lessons from a driving school before I got my
licence - but they do tend to grab the dash and scream a lot. Before
that, Dad was teaching me. One holidays on my aunt's farm we did
quite a bit of driving - dodging sheep and the odd hen is good
practice for pedestrians. But Dad's heart trouble got worse, that's
why I had to use the driving school.