[LMB] OT: Spanish

Sylvia McIvers sylviamcivers at gmail.com
Fri Dec 17 17:26:43 GMT 2021

On Tue, Dec 14, 2021 at 11:02 PM Damien Sullivan <phoenix at mindstalk.net>
wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 14, 2021 at 05:19:02PM -0500, Sylvia McIvers wrote:
>
> > What is the difference between these two lines?
> >
> (2)  ¿Tienes una cartera? Do you have a purse?
> (3)  ¿Usted tiene una cartera? Do you have a purse?
>
> Grammatically, (2) is second person, and (3) is third person. 'tiene' by
> itself means "he/she/it has". But for historical reasons, related to
> addressing superiors as "your honor" (condensed into 'usted'), it is
> also a formal/polite second person in use, vs. the more intimate
> grammatical 2nd person.

That's interesting, I didn't know where 'usted' came from.

> Duolingo does have grammar, but often buried in Tips in unexpected
> places.  It also has some grammar-focused lessons, just one circle on a
> row, and with only 2 levels, names like 'Pres' 'Past' 'Subj'.  But it's
> probably best to study formal grammar somewhere else, and use Duo for
> practice.

I mostly use Duo for vocabulary. I don't need to speak the language as much
as hear & read it.
I used to read the side-by-side ads on the subway, English & Spanish, and
google words I couldn't figure out by reading them together... :)

Sylvia