[LMB] OT: Fat Kids?

Jelbelser jelbelser at comcast.net
Sun Dec 19 03:12:12 GMT 2021

> On Dec 18, 2021, at 1:50 AM, A. Marina Fournier via Lois-Bujold <lois-bujold at lists.herald.co.uk> wrote:
>
> On Dec 17, 2021, at 6:57 PM, WILLIAM A WENRICH <wawenri at msn.com> wrote:
>>
>> It’s just that the times that I have gotten near where I think I should be, I have people, people who should know better, including doctors, trot out the BMI and tell me that I should lose 20 more.
>> I just started the Noom and I’m trying to do it right. I’m not trying to lose 55 pounds. I also don’t want my granddaughters to be pushed to loose weight that they shouldn’t.
> Senior folk need to have good muscle tone for bone health: he doesn’t and given the as yet unspecified disorder which continually weakens him, he never will have. Turns out that carrying a little extra (10-20?) is “weight-bearing exercise”, not a bad thing for seniors.

It is my understanding that target weights for seniors are higher that for whipper-snappers. A quick google indicated that advisable BMIs for seniors is between 25 and 30.

My very skinny daughter became quite chubby when she was 11. Two years later she had grown and slimmed down again.

My slightly autistic son has always been an extremely picky, limited eater. He had obsessive thoughts about the potential ickiness of many foods. When he was 9, he got tired of eating the same very few foods, but wasn’t willing to try anything else. He got so thin that you could see his heart beating between his ribs. His doctor said he was down to 2% body fat. She sent us to a nutritionist who said he was getting enough protein (bean and cheese nachos were one of his five foods) but not enough calories. Nutritionist didn’t have a clue about how to get him to eat more. I was SO irritated by the constant propaganda that kids needed to avoid high calorie food. For my son, any calorie was a good calorie. The more the better! Also being told that if kids get hungry enough they will eat what they are given. Not in my house.

A few years later he had stopped growing. By then he was being treated by a child psychiatrist. At one point he was prescribed an anti-depressant that had weight gain as a side effect. And he gained weight! Down-right chubby! But still not growing. So we consulted a ped. endocrinologist and discovered that he was profoundly deficient in growth hormone. My theory is that the self-imposed starvation shut down several pituitary hormones. It turns out that chubby tummy and cheeks can be a sign of growth hormone deficiency.

So he started taking growth hormone shots. And the fat melted away. And he started growing. He went from 4’10” at age 14 to 5’11.5” at 18. The eating got a bit better; at 5’11.5” he weighted 125 lbs. He learned that he needs to rotate his foods so he always has some in reserve when he tires of his current diet.

So that’s my kids and fat story.

Janet in TN