[LMB] OT: Spanish

Marc Wilson marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk
Sun Dec 19 13:54:33 GMT 2021

On Tue, 14 Dec 2021 15:31:12 -0700, Howard Brazee <howard at brazee.net>
wrote:

>> On Dec 14, 2021, at 3:26 PM, Karen Hunt <huntkc at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Usted is more formal, suited for talking to your parents.
>> Keep in mind, though, that different subdialects of Spanish might put
>> boundary lines of formal versus familiar in different places.
>
>Time and place change this.
>
>It’s interesting that many people think “thee and thou” are formal.   That’s because we only find them in the Bible.   But they are the familiar forms that are mostly obsolete in English.

Still sort-of¹ used in parts of England, particularly the rural North,
and predominantly by older people.  There's even a Yorkshire dialect
word, "tharrer"², for someone who uses the familiar form presumptuously
(c.f. the French "tutoyer").

¹Usually "tha" rather than "thou", in Yorkshire/Lancashire/Cumbria
²"Don't tha thee me, tha tharrer!"
--
Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room.
  - Sir Winston Churchill