[LMB] OT: Parallel parking

Marc Wilson marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk
Sun Dec 19 14:02:20 GMT 2021

On Tue, 14 Dec 2021 20:20:43 -0500, J Woodruff <profjenn12 at gmail.com>
wrote:

>I can't drive "stick" (as we say around here) either. I suspect that most
>USians, at least of my generation and younger, can't. Almost all the cars
>sold anywhere are automatic. My husband has to drive every time we go to
>the UK.

Even in the UK, automatics are gaining traction, though the lines are
blurred somewhat by hybrids, EVs, and cars with DSG gearboxes: a type of
clutchless manual gearbox.

In 2020, for the first time ever, autos outsold manual vehicles in new
sales.  Despite which, almost everyone here can "drive stick", because
(a) that's how the vast majority of people learn;
(b) if you pass your test in an auto, that's all you're licensed to
drive - to switch to manual, you'd have to retake it;¹
(c) the vast majority of cars on the road are manual, though the trend
is for that to fade.  So, there's not always an auto available when you
hire a car, for instance, and almost never if you hire a van (something
like 2% of trade vans are autos, IIRC).

¹I'm not sure what the increasing prevalence of EVs and hybrids will do
to this rule, but it's the situation at the moment.
--
Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room.
  - Sir Winston Churchill