[LMB] OT: Parallel parking

Howard Brazee howard at brazee.net
Sun Dec 19 15:01:03 GMT 2021

> On Dec 19, 2021, at 7:02 AM, Marc Wilson <marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk> wrote:
>
> In 2020, for the first time ever, autos outsold manual vehicles in new
> sales.  Despite which, almost everyone here can "drive stick", because
> (a) that's how the vast majority of people learn;
> (b) if you pass your test in an auto, that's all you're licensed to
> drive - to switch to manual, you'd have to retake it;¹

That seems odd to me.   The driving test should be to make sure the licensed driver is safe on the road.   I don’t see it as being dangerous for someone used to driving an automatic car to drive a car with a manual transmission.

A few hybrid cars have conventional transmissions, some have automatic transmissions, and some don’t have any transmissions at all.    Series Hybrid vehicles have engines that charge the batteries, and electric motors driving the cars.  The electric motors don’t need transmissions.

I think most hybrid cars have both the engine and the motor working together on the drive train.   But often the engine runs at a constant rate (the planetary gear passes the power from both engine and motor to the wheels).

At any rate, hybrids and electric vehicles offer advantages that are bigger than the advantages of old-style automatic transmissions, and I expect the increase in. “Automatic” vehicles isn’t for the most part, old-style automatic transmission cars, but is mostly hybrid cars.