[LMB] OT: Parallel parking

Matija Grabnar lmb at matija.com
Sun Dec 19 18:45:11 GMT 2021

On 16/12/2021 12:15, Gwynne Powell wrote:
> Gwynne: I had a few lessons from a driving school before I got my
> licence - but they do tend to grab the dash and scream a lot. Before
> that, Dad was teaching me.

When I was learning to drive in Yugoslavia, the instructors had a
program they had to cover and it took them 20-30 hours per (normal)
student - the authorities had no interest in making passing the driving
test easy. It was intentionally difficult and expensive.

They instructors didn't have to grab the dash, because they had a
parallel set of brakes and clutch installed in the passenger seat of the
driving school car.

My instructor liked to get me chatting, then ask me a question just
before a stop sign (to distract me), and then slam the brakes as soon as
I drove past it.

It was annoying at the time, but it taught me how to listen and respond
to people talking to me, while keeping my eyes on the road and making
driving my first priority. It's not difficult, once you know how do it,
it's like riding a bike.