[LMB] OT: Parallel parking

Marc Wilson marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk
Sun Dec 19 20:41:11 GMT 2021

On Sun, 19 Dec 2021 08:01:03 -0700, Howard Brazee <howard at brazee.net>
wrote:

>> On Dec 19, 2021, at 7:02 AM, Marc Wilson <marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>> In 2020, for the first time ever, autos outsold manual vehicles in new
>> sales.  Despite which, almost everyone here can "drive stick", because
>> (a) that's how the vast majority of people learn;
>> (b) if you pass your test in an auto, that's all you're licensed to
>> drive - to switch to manual, you'd have to retake it;¹
>
>That seems odd to me.   The driving test should be to make sure the licensed driver is safe on the road.   I don’t see it as being dangerous for someone used to driving an automatic car to drive a car with a manual transmission.

If you've never demonstrated that you can use the gears correctly,
without stalling in traffic etc, you're not deemed to be safe on the
road - which is rather odd, since (AFAIK) we don't enforce the same
rules on someone with a foreign licence hiring a car.

As I said, I expect this to change as technology changes.
--
"It is preferential to refrain from the utilization of sesquipedalian verbiage
in the circumstance that your intellectualization can be expressed using