[LMB] OT: Parallel parking

Mark Goldfield markgoldfield at hotmail.com
Sun Dec 19 21:41:24 GMT 2021

 J Woodruff <profjenn12 at gmail.com> wrote
Sent: Sunday, December 19, 2021 4:25 PM

"My husband only drives stick every two years when we go to Britain and on
the rare occasions when he drives his parents' pickup here, so he always
has to re-acclimate in the airport parking lot.

Here, no one checks whether you know how to drive stick when you get a
drivers' license if you take it in an automatic car. I have a license and
have only ever driven automatic, but if my husband taught me how to drive
stick at this late date, I could then go out on the road and do it without
any additional government licensing.

JLWT

I received my driver's licence in New York State around 1981 driving an automatic and was later able to take lessons and learn to drive a manual transmision car without needing to update my licence.  I was told that some years earlier New York State licenses would have shown a restriction to automatic only. I would guess that not many people are foolish enough to try driving a stick shift the first time without lessons in heavy traffic.
I bought a 1988 Subaru with a manual trnsmission after a few lessons, had a friend follow me home from the dealer knowing I would probably stall out a few times on the way, but started commuting with little trouble thereafter.  Still driving my third (and probably last) manual transmission Subaru.

Mark