[LMB] Pandemic weirdness: why on earth are the Hugos being announced in December?

Joel Polowin jpolowin at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 20 16:32:14 GMT 2021

alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca wrote:
> So the spouse asked me tonight if I'd heard about the Hugo winners being
> announced. And I said that's in August, maybe Sept, not now.
>
> And he dug up the announcement from slashdot and I read the link from WSFS
> and it is so... I guess I have not been paying much attention to SF awards
> lately.

Worldcon was deferred until now so it could be held "safely" in person,
rather than being another on-line-only event.  I hope it won't prove to
have been an omicron-fuelled super-spreader event.

The 2023 Worldcon will be hosted by Chengdu, China.  I gather that there
has been some controversy over the voting process.

Joel