[LMB] OT: Parallel parking

Marc Wilson marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk
Tue Dec 21 12:54:25 GMT 2021

On Sun, 19 Dec 2021 21:58:33 +0100, markus baur <baur at chello.at> wrote:

>Am 19.12.2021 um 21:41 schrieb Marc Wilson:

>>> That seems odd to me.   The driving test should be to make sure the licensed driver is safe on the road.   I don’t see it as being dangerous for someone used to driving an automatic car to drive a car with a manual transmission.
>>
>> If you've never demonstrated that you can use the gears correctly,
>> without stalling in traffic etc, you're not deemed to be safe on the
>> road - which is rather odd, since (AFAIK) we don't enforce the same
>> rules on someone with a foreign licence hiring a car.
>
>but afaik the rental companies only rent to persons whose drivers
>licenses is a certain number of years old ..

Generally, in the UK it's over 21 with 2 years' experience.  Some places
specify 25, and in all cases they have a higher excess for younger
drivers.

They may have different rules for non-UK drivers, especially those used
to driving on the other side of the road.
--
Darwinism is to Sociology what statues are to pigeons: a convenient
platform on which to deposit badly-digested ideas.