[LMB] OT: Kamo'oalewa

Joel Polowin jpolowin at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 22 18:03:04 GMT 2021

"Richard G. Molpus" <rgmolpus at flash.net> wrote:
> If we can find the orbital data, we can know when it's above the
> horizon.
>
> So...We can have a Two Moon Night - be a perfect time to have a grand
> get together!

Per _Nature_ (https://www.nature.com/articles/s43247-021-00303-7):
"Uniquely, Kamoʻoalewa is favorably placed for observations once a
year around April when it becomes bright enough (with visual magnitude
V < 23.0mag) to be characterized by large telescopes on Earth."

It's tiny and distant, and thus invisible to the naked eye even
under optimal viewing conditions.  Any celebration that involves it
would be symbolic.  When I searched for "Kamoʻoalewa brightness",
Google offered the related search "kamoʻoalewa astrology", which is
slightly disappointing in its implications regarding people's beliefs
and interests as a common search topic.

Joel