[LMB] William may have been right after all

Matija Grabnar lmb at matija.com
Fri Dec 24 09:18:12 GMT 2021

On 24/12/2021 05:55, Mark Allums wrote:
> Those poo-poo-ing William Wenrich may want to apologize:
>
> https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2021/12/23/1066871176/mask-n95-omicron-contagious

Um, er, no. He specifically said
"The latest from the White House is that three layer cloth masks are
useless and we have to change to N95 forever."

And he further claimed:

"It was a direct quote from a White House spokesperson."

He later admitted, that it wasn't a direct quote from a White House
spokesperson "I heard it on the radio connected with a quote from the
White House and I assumed that it was as a signal quote"

The NPR article you quoted does not say that three layer masks are
useless. What it says is:

"True, a cloth mask can be a "marginally OK to maybe a decent filter,"
Marr says. But with something as highly transmissible as omicron, just
"OK" isn't good enough."

"OK to maybe decent", even when "not good enough" does not equal
useless. I have yet to see anybody qualified saying  "useless".

This variant is more contagious and therefore we need stronger
protection does not mean "the protection we recommended before was useless"

So no, he wasn't right. He exaggerated what was actually said (you
should wear K95 masks because Omicron is much more infectious) to
further his political agenda by portraying it as caprice.