[LMB] OT: Tell me about your masks, was: William may have been right after all

Gwynne Powell gwynnepowell at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 24 14:14:05 GMT 2021

From: "M. Haller Yamada" <thefabmadamem at yahoo.com>

I know from William's other posts that he doesn't want to catch COVID. I also know that several of his family members and himself have been put in danger (and William, I do hope Brian is doing better -- my daughter and her husband caught some sort of COVID despite being doubly vaccinated. They are doing OK now).?......
Here in Japan, where they've been pulling out the masks every time there's a plague since The Spanish Cold (direct translation), the government from the beginning has urged people to do their own research, really think it through, and decide NOT to be a spreader of the virus. (jishuku -- or ???. I dunno. It's worked OK. We've done worse than some Asian countries, but not bad compared to other countries around the world.?
We're a little worried now. My prefecture had 29 cases yesterday. It feels like Omicron is lurking in the corners, ready to pounce. I get a better fit when I double mask (surgical underneath, cloth on top), so I might go back to doing that, and keeping away from crowded New Year's events (going to the shrine, sales, etc.).
Micki

Gwynne: My main family Christmas was today, so that some family members
can go to their in-laws on Christmas Day. It was all on track, and we were really
looking forward to it after a pretty wearing year.
And then my youngest niece was exposed to someone with COVID. She's been
tested, we were waiting desperately for the results. She lives with her parents,
so that takes out my brother, sis-in-law, niece and her boyfriend - they have to
isolate until she gets the all-clear.
The results still haven't come. Today the rest of us went to my nephew's place
and had a lovely Christmas, missing the others a lot - they facetimed to watch
the children open their presents.
Tomorrow, if the results come in time, I'll be able to have the day with them, and
the rest of the family. Otherwise...
Damn virus.