[LMB] OT: Streaming Services

Matija Grabnar lmb at matija.com
Sat Dec 25 16:12:04 GMT 2021

On 25/12/2021 14:41, WILLIAM A WENRICH wrote:

> I read an article recently that said people were reaching their limit on how many services they were willing to subscribe to. That seems to be true in my case. What is the sense of the list?
I definitely agree that people have a limit of services they will subscribe to. Back when the first alternatives to Netflix were starting to appear, the estimate was that the likely limit was people would pay for three services.

There are serious network effects associated with being a streaming service, the bigger you are, the easier it is to grow (or to keep from shrinking).

I don't know if the people who published that estimate have updated it, I wonder how many of the new services think they can truly make it in the marketplace as opposed to just being bought out by a more successful competitor.

The worst thing IMHO that can happen to consumer choice is if the streaming services get bundled like cable channels are, so that with your cable subscription you get netflix, peacock and disney+ included in the price, regardless of what you want.