[LMB] Chlorophyll

Markus Baur baur at chello.at
Sat Dec 25 19:59:33 GMT 2021

Am 25.12.2021 um 20:20 schrieb Beatrice Otter via Lois-Bujold:
> ---- On Sat, 25 Dec 2021 09:24:54 -0800 Markus Baur via Lois-Bujold <lois-bujold at lists.herald.co.uk> wrote ----
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abundance_of_elements_in_Earth%27s_crust
>
> basically everything in the upper left quadrant of this diagram would be
> viable from an abundance point of view
>
> https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/09/Elemental_abundances.svg/1280px-Elemental_abundances.svg.png
>
> i think the colour of the ersatz-chlorophyll would not only depend on
> the metal itself, but also what exactly the surrounding molecule is
> doing .. but i do not know enough about organic chemistry to make
> predictions
>
> Beatrice Otter:
>

> But the thing is, what is abundant on one planet may or may not be abundant elsewhere. We already know that Earth has a lot of phosphorous compared to other planets, for example. Earth may not be a good example, and even if it is, any other planet we settle might be odd.
>
> Beatrice Otter

generation of all elements with the exception of primordial hydrogen and
helium is pretty much the same all over the universe

Barrayar is pretty similar to Earth - that would imply a pretty similar
process of formation

all that together in turn would not make me expect a large difference in
the element abundance form one terrestrial type planet to another

servus

markus