[LMB] Chlorophyll

Damien Sullivan phoenix at mindstalk.net
Sat Dec 25 20:13:46 GMT 2021

On Sat, Dec 25, 2021 at 04:33:14PM +0000, WILLIAM A WENRICH wrote:
> The plants on Barrayar (on topic for once) are red and brown instead of green (Ekaterin remarked that a green Barrayan plant would be very sick.) because the plants use a different chemical. This appears to be a common SF trope but do we know of any other chemicals that would work?

As people have mentioned, caratenoids are photosynthetic, and absorb
violet to green light thus appear yellow to red.  Purple bacteria are
photosynthetic, and use a mix of bacteriochlorophylls and carotenoids;
an ecology where they instead of cyanobacteria had become chloroplasts
would look very different.

Plants themselves use a mix of chlorophyll and carotenoids; it's a bit
ironic that plants are green, because they're reflecting the Sun's peak
wavelengths.

https://www.quantamagazine.org/why-are-plants-green-to-reduce-the-noise-in-photosynthesis-20200730/

-xx- Damien X-)