[LMB] Chlorophyll

Joel Polowin jpolowin at hotmail.com
Sun Dec 26 17:01:44 GMT 2021

Ruchira Mathur <wetair at gmail.com> wrote:
> The new book by Modistte has a light green sky, Isolate, I think it's
> called? A book with empaths and non-empaths.

>From reading a few reviews, I'm under the impression that physics
is fundamentally different in that setting than in the real world:
electricity and magnetism don't work the same as here.  But one could
get a green sky in our universe if the sun is a lot cooler than ours,
such that it doesn't put out much blue or violet light.  But that
would create a new set of challenges when it comes to having a planet
inhabitable by humans.  For average temperature, the planet would need
to be a lot closer to its sun than we are to ours, which would make the
planet a lot more vulnerable to becoming tidally locked.  One side would
always be facing the sun, the other always turned away, extremes of
temperature in both.  Volatiles such as water -- and, eventually, air --
would tend to end up frozen out on the dark side.

Joel