[LMB] OT: Random?

WalterStuartBushell proto at panix.com
Mon Dec 27 13:40:01 GMT 2021

> On Dec 27, 2021, at 5:36 AM, Raymond Collins <rcrcoll6 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Interesting. I'll look into that. I find the Polynesian exploration of the
> Pacific Ocean to be the most fascinating and courageous adventure of
> exploration in human history.  I wonder how many Polynesian expeditions
> ended up on the Pacific seafloor.

It was a matter of desperation rather. With population growth or resource depletion people got
there arose conflict for territory.

Well the way I heard it was after a war over territory, the defeated could usually
get permission to take their women and pigs and head out to sea. Sometimes they
got lucky and found a new home.

They were master navigators and could detect land from long distance by wave patterns

This was in the plot of _Hawaii_ by Mitchner (1986). How I remember the author’s name
after all those years, I don’t know.

Mitchner had the group see a volcanic eruption on the Big Island. Imagine the relief of
 a crew where at least the men new the score

Micthner followed a group forced out of home and discovered and settled Hawaii.

And also in Jared Diamond’s study of Polynesia.

—
"We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light."
 - Attributed to Plato