[LMB] OT: Random?

Howard J Brazee howard at brazee.net
Mon Dec 27 18:29:45 GMT 2021

> On Dec 27, 2021, at 10:06 AM, alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca wrote:
>
> James Michener, who was an extremely prolific writer of very thick, well-researched, bestselling novels for many years. According to Wikipedia, the novel was published in 1959, the year that Hawaii became the 50th U.S. state (OK, I had NO idea that Hawaii wasn't a state til then!)
>
> Thor Heyerdahl also wrote about Polynesian travel in his books Kon-Tiki and Aku-Aku, and even mounted his own real-life expeditions to prove the trips were possible.

I just got done reading “Iberia” last night.   He spent maybe 40 years off and on in Spain and was fascinated by the cultures and history there.    I was reminded on what I see every time I read history, about how fortunate I am not to have lived back when.

At the end of the book was an excerpt from Hawaii, which I read when it was new.   I decided not to re-read it now, but probably will someday.   Most everything he wrote except “Tales of the South Pacific” is big.