[LMB] OT: Tell me about your masks, was: William may have been right after all

M. Haller Yamada thefabmadamem at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 28 14:54:41 GMT 2021

On Monday, December 27, 2021, 01:13:42 PM GMT+9, Raymond Collins <rcrcoll6 at gmail.com> wrote:

In my Country, Douglas Country, we have had 71,755 cases since the start of
the epidemic. No new cases since last week. About 718 people have died.
  I've had both vaccines and the booster, but I still mask up when go
indoors. I have the double cloth masks and KN95 disposable masks even
though Omaha has dropped the mask mandate about 6 months ago.

On Sat, Dec 25, 2021, 8:56 PM Sylvia McIvers <sylviamcivers at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 24, 2021 at 2:01 AM M. Haller Yamada via Lois-Bujold <
>
> > ...Here in Japan, ... We've done worse than some Asian countries, but not
> > bad compared to other countries around the world.
> >
> > We're a little worried now. My prefecture had 29 cases yesterday. It
> feels
> > like Omicron is lurking in the corners, ready to pounce. I get a better
> fit
> > when I double mask (surgical underneath, cloth on top), so I might go
> back
> > to doing that, and keeping away from crowded New Year's events (going to
> > the shrine, sales, etc.).
> >
> > Micki
> >

> How big is a prefecture?  New York had been going down, down, down - and
> then it spiked.
> --
Micki: Missed this, Sylvia. Hokkaido is the biggest prefecture, and it's about 1/12th the size of Texas according to MapFight, and has a population of around 5 million as of 2019. Google says it's had around 16,400 cases, and 1,474 deaths. It was one of the early hot spots; people think it's because of the Snow Festival in Sapporo that wasn't cancelled in February 2020. That thing attracted tourists from all over the world.

My daughter is in New York state; been worried about their cases going up again. And Raymond, I have aunts in Omaha. I am glad the numbers have gone down there!

Micki