[LMB] OT: Worries

alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca
Wed Dec 29 00:26:21 GMT 2021

While I have my doubts about William's stats, the opioid crisis, which is
driven by the availability of fentanyl and the fact that many other drugs
are contaminated by fentanyl, is EXTREMELY SERIOUS.

It is responsible for a very large number of deaths and has been
exacerbated by the pandemic.

I've interviewed staff at a local community health centre and they told
me that a lot of these deaths don't reach the public cobnsciousness
because they're quiet and non-violent. People just don't wake up after an
injection and aren't found in time to get Naloxone. It's tragic.

See Canadian stats:
https://health-infobase.canada.ca/substance-related-harms/opioids-stimulants/

In Canada: "1,720 apparent opioid toxicity deaths occurred between April
and June 2021 (approximately 19 deaths per day), similar to the period
from January to March 2021 (1,792 deaths), but representing a 2% increase
compared to April to June 2020 (1,680 deaths) and a 66% increase compared
to April to June 2019 (1,038 deaths)."

Also
https://www.canada.ca/en/health-canada/services/publications/healthy-living/canada-opioid-crisis-fact-sheet.html

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-53954964

Canada and US:

https://www.wilsoncenter.org/sites/default/files/media/documents/article/opioid_crisis.pdf
says The US has had more than 60,000 opioid-related deaths since 2013
and Canada has had more than 10,000 opioid-related deaths since 2016.

Alayne

--
Alayne McGregor
alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca