[LMB] personal news

Kathy Collett kcollett at hamilton.edu
Fri Dec 31 21:22:34 GMT 2021

On Dec 29, 2021, at 12:07 PM, adkinslawfirm at mindspring.com wrote:

> Wow, what a lot of long-term marriages on the list!  I thought we were pretty impressive, hitting 30 years this summer, but there are some hereabouts who blow us clean out of the water!  Also a fascinating demographic in recent messages of the wife being older than the husband.  Like many, we met in college, started dating at 23, & got married at 27.

I am also 3 1/2 years older than my husband (also a fan but not on the list).  I was 22 when we met — just graduated from Wellesley and starting a second BA at Cambridge — and he was still 18 — I think he may have turned 19 a week or so after we met — just starting at Cambridge; we met singing together, but consolidated our friendship in the university fantasy literary society and to a lesser extent the SF society.  He loaned me some Heinlein and I loaned him C.S. Lewis’s space trilogy (ironically, since he’s English and I’m American).  We married in 1978, after I’d been a year in graduate school at U. Penn. and he came to America to start graduate school at Princeton — so we’ve now been married 43 years.

>  So, thank you, list for 20+ years of fun and friendship.  Thank you, Michael Bernardi, for getting out of your comfort zone [hiding behind the door] and seeking Lois out for permission to start the list.  Thank you, Lois McMaster Bujold, for giving him permission to do it and sticking with us all these years.  People and controversies come and go, but curiosity, friendship, and goodwill are the foundations on which we build.

Hear, hear!  Thank you all!  I joined the LordV list first, in 2002, and this list in 2003, so I’ve (only) been on it for nearly 19 years.

Katherine