[LMB] OT: Roman religion

B Van Look vanlook19 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 1 01:26:57 BST 2021

Deaths were rare between the formal gladiators, yes.

the slaughter of animals by the specialized gladiators? obscene. They
found a giraffe leg bone in the sewers at Herculaneum, in the
upper-middle-class insula. So that kind of killing wasn't just the
city of Rome. It was all over the empire.

In addition, killing "criminals" was also a popular part of the
games--usually the early timeslots, followed by the killing of exotic
animals. "Criminals" including, oh, embezzlers, murderers and
Christians.
The religio Romano was many things, but civilized it was not.

BJ, who is, nonetheless, fascinated by the Vestals