[LMB] Heat was Re: July Vorkosigan Tea Party

alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca
Thu Jul 1 03:41:50 BST 2021

On Wed, 30 Jun 2021, Alex Kwan wrote:
> Yes, and as much of an environmentalist I claim to be, I think above 30C
> Celsius means I must reluctantly turn on the air con… What about you;
> how are you doing? I hear it does get hot in Canada, though only for a
> few days per year?

No, much of Canada has a continental climate - which means that we get hot
in the summer and cold in the winter.

Growing up in Winnipeg in the Prairies, I remember it going down to -40 in
the winter, and into the 90sF (high 30s C) in the summer. It was, however,
dry heat and that does make a difference.

Here in Ottawa it goes down to -20 to -25C (-10 to 0 F) in winter (I can
remember -36C but not recently). In the summer we've hit the 90sF (high
30s C). And it's HUMID. A couple years ago we had a horrible Canada Day
(July 1) where we felt like limp rags from the heat/humidity outside. This
week has been pretty bad, too with temperatures in the high 20sC and a
humidex (do non-Canadians measure this?) of 36.

The hot weather extends generally from June to August, but in bursts, not
all the time.

And it's much hotter this week in western Canada to the point where people
are dying.

We have a window air conditioner but haven't installed it yet. We don't
generally run it unless t gets really bad.

Alayne

--
Alayne McGregor
alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca