[LMB] Barrayaran Lords and Ladies

Gwynne Powell gwynnepowell at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 1 05:40:19 BST 2021

From: Pouncer <pouncer at aol.com>

When the Count forfeits his position (at least, and likely his life) to
failed treason,  Lord Vordrozda would be too young (and unfairly, too
suspect) to inherit and ascend. There's no reason in this case to
appoint a Count's Regent for a teenaged heir.  Some cousin or another
will be found among the Vortaines and Vorpatrils and other clans
claiming relationships to the Vordrozda, to take over "Lorimel".

But while no sane member of Gregor's Counselors would empower a teenager
to start out on a path towards avenging his father ... there's good
reason to allow the next generation of Vordrozdas to retain the (now
empty) titles and perhaps whatever family properties and entailments are
not politically owned by the "District".

Gwynne: I'm not sure; wouldn't it be better to let the son take the Countship,
with a clear warning 'We'll be watching you, one false step and you'll end
up like your father.'  Rather than dropping him from the Countship and having
a resentful and dangerous Vor lord running around loose wanting revenge
for losing his status?