[LMB] OT: NYTimes.com: Exercise, and Accept Your ‘Inevitable Demise’

Rebecca Price becca7108 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 1 18:11:38 BST 2021

Here's the intro

The fitness industry has exploded into a nearly $100 billion sector, and
Alison Bechdel is among the exercise-obsessed. Bechdel, the cartoonist
whose comic strip inspired the Bechdel Test for female representation in
Hollywood, says she has found transcendence in everything from yoga and
karate to weight lifting and biking. Her new book, “The Secret to
Superhuman Strength,” examines the exercise craze, and what it exposes
about our attitudes around self-care, the booming fitness economy and even
our mortality.

*[You can listen to this episode of “Sway” on **Apple*
<https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/sway/id1528594034>*, **Spotify*
<https://open.spotify.com/show/44fllCS2FTFr2x2kjP9xeT>*, **Google*
<https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0cHM6Ly9mZWVkcy5zaW1wbGVjYXN0LmNvbS9sMmk5WW5UZA?sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjMm6fblpzuAhXKnnIEHVMCBW0Q9sEGegQIARAE>*
or **wherever you get your podcasts*
<https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/21/opinion/how-to-listen-to-sway.html>*.]*

In this conversation, Kara and Bechdel discuss the evolution of workout
culture (“yoga boom” included), the politics of art (especially during the
Trump era) and how mainstream cultural norms have finally caught up to, as
Bechdel puts it, “where lesbians were back in the ’80s.”