[LMB] Religion question

Beatrice Otter beatrice_otter at zoho.com
Sat Jul 3 05:26:34 BST 2021

Beatrice asked:
> I have no idea why the 20th and 21st Centuries are so intent on turning
> economic and political ideologies into religions

---- On Fri, 02 Jul 2021 20:33:25 -0700 Elizabeth Holden <mailto:alzurite at gmail.com> wrote ----
Several people have agreed, but I'm not sure what you mean. How are you
defining the word "religion??

Beatrice Otter:
Being a Christian and living in a Christian culture, I'm using a definition which is heavily influenced by Christianity and is not applicable to many religions in other cultures. But. When I talk about religion, usually I'm talking about a thing you believe in which shapes your identity and how you see the world. Something that you hold as an article of faith and which you are not capable of changing your mind about without massive psychological stress.

If people held their economic ideologies as ideas they've thought about rationally, instead of as something they believe in religiously, they would be able to admit the limitations of their ideology. They would be able to say "well, this is usually true (which is why I think it's a good idea), but in this particular case it's not working so we need to do something different even if that contradicts my preferred economic ideology." And the vast majority of people can't do that.

Beatrice Otter