[LMB] people's use of language is funny (for some values of funny)

Gwynne Powell gwynnepowell at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 6 08:35:54 BST 2021

From: Fred <fred.fredex at gmail.com>

Here's one of my (many) language pet peeves, gleaned from CNN just now:
The fake vaccination drives took place between late May and early June,
So, that literally means it wasn't in May and it wasn't in June. so it took
place during the 0.00000<ad infinitum>000 seconds between the end of May
and the start of June?
One of the plethora of things people say that don't actually mean what the
person means to say.

Gwynne: One of my current language pet peeves is an ad on TV begging for
donations to help war and famine victims overseas. (No, the peeve isn't the
ad itself) During the ad it asks for donations to prevent 'children dying
unnecessary deaths'. All I think of at that point is... does that mean some of
them are dying necessary deaths? What's a necessary death? I know what
they mean, but it's a bad choice of words.

Like the discussion on whether parents should hit their children. Well, they
certainly shouldn't hit OTHER people's children....