[LMB] people's use of language is funny (for some values of funny)

Gwynne Powell gwynnepowell at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 6 12:20:51 BST 2021

From: Sharon Micenko <wembleyware at gmail.com>

Seriously nitpicking now. ?One in five children are living in poverty? presses all the wrong buttons for me, IS, you fool. IS! There?s worse, the IGNORANT commentators who should have stuck to their illustrious football careers because they never paid any attention to their English lessons. "Geelong is versing Adelaide this weekend? Every time without fail I scream at the television. It?s versus, you fool! "It?s Geelong versus Adelaide."
Newsreaders are seriously bad, too, although probably  don?t write what they have to read out.
Sharon

Gwynne: Ohhh sports commentators must be trained to mangle the language.
"He goaled!"  No, you ignoramus. He SCORED a goal!  (And get ready for the
Olympics; "She medalled in that race." Aaarggghhh!!!)