[LMB] people's use of language is funny (for some values of funny)

Howard Brazee howard at brazee.net
Tue Jul 6 14:29:20 BST 2021

> On Jul 6, 2021, at 7:14 AM, WILLIAM A WENRICH <wawenri at msn.com> wrote:
>

>> On Jul 6, 2021, at 5:20 AM, Gwynne Powell <gwynnepowell at hotmail.com <mailto:gwynnepowell at hotmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>> Gwynne: Ohhh sports commentators must be trained to mangle the language.
>> "He goaled!"  No, you ignoramus. He SCORED a goal!
>
> It’s too late with “golf”, which has become a verb.

> Well they have president, the act of trying to catch fish is to fish.

Yep.   The language changes.   There are so many generations in the past with people complaining that younger generations use the language wrong, with future generations accepting the changed language as right and proper.

It’s changes that happen within our own lifetimes that we notice the most.   I remember when “tarmac” became airport apron, or spaceport apron after Entebbe.    And I get irritated with the use of “tons” and “massive” to describe things with no weight or mass.   (Where did Newton get that term?).

There are so many illogical changes that I accept as part of the language because they’ve been around for hundreds of years.