[LMB] Calling on the List Mind, was Autocorrupt

Zan Lynx zlynx at acm.org
Wed Jul 7 17:25:50 BST 2021

On 7/7/21 9:33 AM, Sylvia McIvers wrote:
> I just got hired to teach HS computers. One of the classes is typing mixed
> with learning MS Word - but with an emphasis on touch typing.
>
> HOW in the world do I motivate a bunch of 9th graders to learn to touch
> type?

Well, when I was in 8th grade and a couple other years if I remember,
our computer classes always started with typing. As I recall it was
ungraded but there was a big deal made about how being able to type made
computers easier to use.

We had software provided that taught typing. It could do various drills,
like starting with the home row keys to help memorize key positions and
advancing from there.

And of course it had speed and accuracy modes where a sample text was
provided and we had to type it in.

What I suggest is competition. I wouldn't grade on it. But maybe a
weekly ranking of best typing speed, best improvement in speed, and
whatever else you can think of.

I would try it in private first to make sure you can win, but see if you
can beat someone by typing on a keyboard vs their phone input. One of
the biggest problems I have using swipe and predictive text input is the
phone getting the words wrong and needing to backtrack for corrections.

Demonstrate the superiority of QWERTY. Heh.
--
                 Knowledge is Power -- Power Corrupts
                         Study Hard -- Be Evil