[LMB] Religion question

Howard Brazee howard at brazee.net
Thu Jul 8 22:59:14 BST 2021

> On Jul 8, 2021, at 3:11 PM, Matthew George <matt.msg at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> The single biggest function of religion is to serve as a way to identify
> tribal in-groups.  Superficial customs can be imitated, but lore that can't
> be derived from general experience must be learned.  Then, afterwards, it
> has effects on behavior patterns, but largely due to providing patterns for
> people to conform to.  Actual morality is a secondary, if important,
> feature, and it tends to involve reinterpreting content to match the
> morality of the moment more than making actual belief conform to texts.
> And isn't that at least partially a good thing?  The moral codes of
> pre-Iron Age nomads and farmers are universally vile by today's standards.

I don’t see this characteristic changing with direct evidence of gods, and people who obviously are talking with gods.

I find it interesting that there is at least one heresy in the 5-gods world, which is one that is used to excuse war.  People will put their own values first, and argue how well they fit in with what the gods want later.