[LMB] OT: Hacking results

Katrina Knight kknight at fastmail.fm
Sun Jul 11 22:14:45 BST 2021

At 10:59 PM 7/10/2021 WILLIAM A WENRICH wrote:
>Last Thursday my email was hacked.
>My contacts were used in phishing attacks and deleted. I have
>not been able to restore them.
>Also, in the browser app, a rule was created that sent all of
>my email to a bogus folder.
>I changed my password and went to two value authentication.

Unless you know how your account was breached, I'd advise doing
a very thorough check for malware, including looking closely at
any browser extensions. Most of the time, these things happen
because the user either got tricked into revealing their
credentials or the user was sloppy about using the same password
in multiple places and one got hacked at the other end, but
sometimes something even worse is going on. One of my clients
earlier this year got infected with a key logger that stole her
ID and password  and the details described here match up with
what happened to her. The key logger came in through a browser
extension that she was tricked into installing. Changing her
password didn't put a stop to the problem because the key logger
gave the bad guy her new password too. Malwarebytes will
generally find this kind of thing for you. It is best to run it
while Windows is in Safe Mode.

--
Katrina Knight
kknight at fastmail.fm