[LMB] Religion question

Matija Grabnar lmb at matija.com
Mon Jul 12 12:31:47 BST 2021

On 12/07/2021 10:36, tidsel via Lois-Bujold wrote:

> Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.

So his point was that none of the classical religions equip people with
the ability to better survive storms, lightning, drought, floods, moon,
starts or any other phenomena influencing their lives (not that stars
influence their lives in any way). Knowing what makes storms, lightning,
drought and floods equips people much better with the means to survive
them then do the just-so stories about Gods and their conflicts.
> M: Nope. One of the other things religion does is provide people with the
>> illusion of being able to affect things.
> T: The first superstition/spirituality/religion was very likely because you knew you could NOT
> affect things - just attempts to understand, and make it as safe as you could by not insulting
> whatever powers were seen to run things.

Basically, superstition is pattern recognition over-fitting. Do you know
how to make a pigeon superstitious? You make a lever that will deliver a
food pellet at random intervals. Pigeon will try to do various things to
make it deliver the pellet. Sooner or later, the pellet will be
delivered after a same action that seemed to "work" before - and now the
pigeon will try that action every time they press the lever.

So superstition is a characteristic of even quite limited intelligence.
And a cult is a superstition with someone who has found a way to
monetize it.

 > Even atheists sometimes pray if someone is seriously ill or no one
can help them.

"No atheists in the foxholes" and other stories religious people tell
each other in order to feel better.