[LMB] My question about Hoffer

alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca
Mon Jul 12 23:07:01 BST 2021

I read five or six of Hoffer's books many years ago, and I still have them
packed away in a box. It's been long enough that I don't remember a great
deal of them, other than he was closer to Libertarian than anything else,
with a strong dose of American can-do.

Hoffer was an auto-didact, who worked as a longshoreman and read and wrote
at night. He was a very bright man and a good prose stylist. His books --
all quite thin -- were condensed versions of his thoughts over a period
of time. _The True Believer_, in which he looks at the nature of mass
movements, is the most interesting.

I do like these quotes from him:

We lie loudest when we lie to ourselves.

Our great weariness comes from work not done.

Alayne

--
Alayne McGregor
alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca