[LMB] people's use of language is funny (for some values of funny)

Peter Hews Peterhews at protonmail.com
Wed Jul 14 12:32:19 BST 2021

On Tuesday, July 13th, 2021 at 22:24, Howard Brazee <howard at brazee.net> wrote:

> But language changes all over the place.

Writing more than a century ago, Quiller-Couch made fun of people who tried to tie words down to their "proper" meanings by noting that they wouldn't say of someone that he did his job  "indifferently," and "prevented" the arrival of his fellow workers.  But once those words would have been compliments, meaning that he did it without bias and always arrived first.

In the intro to the TV Tropes page on changes in language, they observe that "we are discussing memes and tropes in an online wicki, and none of those words would have been understood twenty years ago."

Peter Hews

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.