[LMB] Religion question

Elizabeth Holden alzurite at gmail.com
Wed Jul 14 16:07:51 BST 2021

Peter Hews said:

>   Atheism wasn't an option before science.

Sure it was, though I'm not sure what you mean by "before science" - seems
to me that science, as a way to understand the world by observation and
experiment, goes back to the ancient Greeks, if not the ancient Sanskrit
speakers. Do you mean the Age of Enlightenment?

There are references to atheists in 5th century BC Greece, according to
Wikipedia.

There were atheists and agnostics too, in ancient times - people who didn't
believe they existed or that they did what people said they did. But they'd
have more reason than people do nowadays to keep silent about it.

namaste,
Elizabeth

Virus-free.
<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>