[LMB] Religion and one-up-manship

Jelbelser jelbelser at comcast.net
Fri Jul 16 01:03:07 BST 2021

>> On Jul 14, 2021, at 7:07 PM, Matthew George <matt.msg at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> The people who insist on deleting the middle letter of the word 'god',
>> replacing it with an underscore, are another example.  There is simply no
>> traditional justification for the practice.

Actually, yes there is. Under some interpretations of Jewish law, anything with God’s name written on it must be disposed of in special ways. By writing G-d one avoids this. Makes life easier. People do it because that’s the tradition in their community. It’s not to play I’m-better-than-you games.

Janet in TN