[LMB] Religion question

Eric Oppen ravenclaweric at gmail.com
Fri Jul 16 02:21:36 BST 2021

As I understand it (no learned Hebrew scholar am I) the commandment in
question should be translated more accurately as "thou shalt *do no murder*."
Murder is a very specific kind of killing.

While I am, as I mentioned, no Hebrew scholar (if I were to learn a Semitic
language, I'd go with Modern Standard Arabic because I think it would be
more useful), I can back this up with some evidence.

In Shakespeare's Richard III, George of Clarence (that utter waste of space
and oxygen) denounces the men who've come to kill him as follows:

"Erroneous vassals! the great King of kingsHath in the table of his law
commandedThat thou shalt do no murder:"
This play was written in 1593 or so, several decades before the King James
Bible that we now think of as the English-language Bible was composed.  I
will admit I'd like to compare that passage across other early
translations, from Wyclif to the Great and Bishop's Bibles.  But, as I say,
I have some evidence to back me up.