[LMB] Religion question

Tony Zbaraschuk tzbarasc at lasierra.edu
Fri Jul 16 14:23:18 BST 2021

On Fri, Jul 16, 2021 at 6:38 AM Gwynne Powell <gwynnepowell at hotmail.com>
wrote:

> From: Eric Oppen <ravenclaweric at gmail.com>
>
> Another thing is that Hebrew (and Greek) both had several different verbs
> for the act of bringing death.  So do we.  Homicide, murder, manslaughter,
> accidental death and justifiable homicide all mean killing another human
> being, whether by accident or on purpose.
>
> Gwynne: It's slightly worrying that we have so many different words for it.
> And that's not even starting on all the slang terms.

The world is complicated; accurate descriptions of it are therefore also
necessarily complicated.  Of course, if vocabulary gets too hard to hold in
the head, the complicated verbal structures start collapsing back into
single ones, not always the same as the originals -- it's a constant
ongoing battle with various factors influencing it.

Tony Zbaraschuk

--
Tony Zbaraschuk
Bookworm, talker, learner