[LMB] Religion and one-up-manship

Peter Hews Peterhews at protonmail.com
Sat Jul 17 10:50:36 BST 2021

> > On Thu, Jul 15, 2021 at 9:06 PM Jelbelser jelbelser at comcast.net wrote:
> >
> > > Actually, yes there is.
> >
> > Nope. 'God' isn't the name of the Jewish god. It's a title, like 'Lord of
> >
> > Hosts'. Now, if people wanted to write YHWH, or even Y_W_, that would be
> >
> > justified by the tradition - but not G-d or G_d.
> >
> > Matt G.
>
> We already substitute a euphemism for the Name of the Lord, Adonai. And
>
> we tend to use Elohim (The Lord) rather than His name.
>
> Harvey

I've been told that some of the mystique around the name of God arose because early Hebrew didn't have vowel markings, so no-one really knows how "YHWH" was originally pronounced.  The story grew up that there was a secret true pronounciation that was so sacred that anyone who spoke it aloud would be struck dead.

"The Cartoon History of the World" makes fun of this with the narrator saying "For all we know, he could have been called 'Yahoo-Wahoo,'" and being struck by lightning.

Peter Hews

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.