[LMB] Religion and one-up-manship

Eric Oppen ravenclaweric at gmail.com
Sun Jul 18 03:16:21 BST 2021

One reason for the existence of such things was that knowing and using the
true name of a supernatural entity gave a mortal power over that entity.
Or that was what people believed.

Kind of like how our word "bear" is not the original Indo-European word for
this animal.  It derives from "brown one," AIUI, and was used as a
substitute for the real word because saying the real word might attract the
creature's hungry attention.  Kind of like "Speak of the Devil, and he will
appear," or in Chinese, "Shuo dao Cao Cao, Cao Cao jiou dao."