[LMB] Discussions

Elizabeth Holden alzurite at gmail.com
Sun Jul 18 14:06:43 BST 2021

tidsel said:

>  But as said earlier, I think it is attitude more than topics, and the
books are so good, topics do
> come out of them.
> Thus pizzas are simply an ever re-occurng band aid that does not touch
the actual problem.

Seems to me that it does: it's a veto on topics that could cause
real dissension in the lists, which can be wielded by anyone - wasn't there
once a three-day period for it? In any case, it seems to more or less work,
the list survives, hopefully no one is permanently offended, and we all
carry one. That looks like success to me.

What would failure look like?  Everyone would go away and there'd be no one
left to talk about anything.

I blinked at the notion that the Bujold novels are not political. They are
all about governance, whether good or bad or indeterminate, and how
individuals cope within that milieu. Is it American politics? I would
argue, because the author is American,it is flavoured by American history
and culture, and that's certainly not a bad thing.

Not that I'm saying we should ever talk about the forbidden topic. I'm just
saying... politics is a part of life, and we can all be civil about it to
good effect.

namaste,
Elizabeth

Virus-free.