[LMB] Discussions

Markus Baur baur at chello.at
Sun Jul 18 14:22:32 BST 2021

Am 18.07.2021 um 15:06 schrieb Elizabeth Holden:
> tidsel said:
>
>>   But as said earlier, I think it is attitude more than topics, and the
> books are so good, topics do
>> come out of them.
>> Thus pizzas are simply an ever re-occurng band aid that does not touch
> the actual problem.
>
> Seems to me that it does: it's a veto on topics that could cause
> real dissension in the lists, which can be wielded by anyone - wasn't there
> once a three-day period for it? In any case, it seems to more or less work,
> the list survives, hopefully no one is permanently offended, and we all
> carry one. That looks like success to me.
>
> What would failure look like?  Everyone would go away and there'd be no one
> left to talk about anything.
>
> I blinked at the notion that the Bujold novels are not political. They are
> all about governance, whether good or bad or indeterminate, and how
> individuals cope within that milieu. Is it American politics? I would
> argue, because the author is American,it is flavoured by American history
> and culture, and that's certainly not a bad thing.

essentially we are running up here against Aristoteles' "zoon politikon"
- ultimately EVERYTHING a human does or says is political (in the sense
of society or state forming / building / participating) .. and excluding
this from the list at the whim of some plain member who do not want to
read "nasty things" (defined as "anything that i do not like") seems to
be a diminishment of the list

ob bujold - forex, any serious discussion of Beta society / mores will
very fast become political .. and in order to have any meaningful
discussion we will have to compare and contrast to other societies -
societies that are known to us and can thus serve as touchstones /
marker points / good or bad examples .. and given the putative mother
society of the Beta we will have to remark on US society and politics in
some way

about the only person i would accept havong a veto on subjects is her
ladyship herself

servus

markus