[LMB] The Assassins of Thasalon - Chapter 1

Gwynne Powell gwynnepowell at hotmail.com
Sun Jul 18 16:34:17 BST 2021

A smooth and very clever introduction, setting the scene so easily,
and dropping in a few little pieces of information that we'll need later.

I like that Pen is concerned about his little daughter. Des becomes
concerned about the young demon. Basically, this is a story about a
form of child abuse - using the baby demons and killing them, and
threatening to mutilate a child. Pen, and Des, are all about protecting
the young and helpless (as is Pen's god, the last resort of those who
have nobody else to help them.)

I like Adelis's honour - he takes the foreign general straight to the Duke,
and gives him all the information. He won't betray the man who helped
him.

The attack is so fast, and almost successful - Des is very powerful. We
don't see her cut loose often (and I love it when she really does - like
throwing a MOUNTAIN when Pen was nearly killed. Big rocks. A whole
mountainside. Whooooosh. Glorious.)

I also like the soldiers all standing around after the attack, not sure what
to do when the warfare is so far out of their league. Unsettling for them.

And now there's a lethal demon-assassin out there, gunning for Adelis,
possibly more than one of them, putting Pen's family at risk. Also unsettling.

One short chapter and we're knee-deep in intrigue, politics, death and
danger. And demons. The story is rattling along already.